Are you looking to make some extra money by selling items on eBay, but feel a little intimidated by the platform?
In this guide, we’ll walk you through the process of setting up an account, creating detailed product listings, and understanding eBay fees. With the right knowledge, you’ll be able to list items on eBay quickly and easily.
Let’s get started!
Step 1: Create An Account
If you already have an account, skip this step and simply login to your account. You don't need to create a separate account or a new one.
Creating an eBay account is easy and free. To get started, go to eBay.com and click on the “Sign up” button in the top right corner. You’ll be asked to provide your name, email address, and a password. Once you’ve entered your information and clicked “Create account,” you’ll be able to start listing items.
Step 2: Create a Detailed Listing
1. Log into your eBay account and click on the “Sell” tab at the top of the page.
2. Choose the Create Listing blue button and pick Single Listing.
3. Type in the title of your product or the keywords into the search area. Hit enter and see if eBay comes up with your product. If it doesn't, it will tell you it doesn't have any suggestions.
4. Let's assume you have to create the listing from scratch - the next screen you will see is eBay asking you to pick a category.
Once you pick a category, eBay will once again try to find your product among other items already in their database.
You can scroll down and look for one that is similar and choose to start with the information the seller of that item has already inputted or you can continue without a match if you don't find a product similar enough to yours.
5. Confirm Details - regardless of which option you choose above, the next screen eBay will prompt you with is to define if this item is new or used.
6. Add Photos & Video - items with a clean white background should be used. Do not have any additional logos like "photoroom" anywhere.
PNG is a higher resolution photo vs a JPG
If you have a white item, you can use a black background to help the item stand out
You can add up to 24 photos - the more the better in the 'algorithms' eyes.
7. Add Title - do not use all caps or special characters in your title
Special Characters: " - / &
Should be a minimum of 60 characters
Don't use words like Cute - people don't shirt for cute shirt, they search for blue long sleeve shirt so those are the keywords you want to include in your title.
8. Custom SKU - I use this section to put the bin # I am storing the product in.
9. Item Specifics - the more you fill out, the higher your listing will appear in eBay's search.
10. Description - the first couple of sentences are the most important part. They need to be complete sentences that describe your product.
This exquisite hand-carved wooden spoon fork is perfect for any kitchen! Treat yourself or someone special to this unique piece of art - it's sure to bring a smile to their face!
These beautiful frog salt and pepper shakers from Japan are perfect for adding a touch of whimsy to your dining table. The body is painted in a bright green and the eyes are detailed in black and white. The shakers have a stopper at the bottom to make refilling easy. These unique salt and pepper shakers are sure to bring a fun and unique touch to any meal.
This Old Navy Navy Blue Sweater is perfect for those cold winter days! This classic crewneck sweater is made from a lightweight cotton blend, providing comfort and warmth without weighing you down.
11. Pricing - don't do an auction when you are first starting out.
Ignore everything under pricing until you get to Shipping! I don't recommend allowing offers at the beginning.
12. Shipping - you will need a scale to weigh your item and a ruler to determine the size of box you will need. I would suggest doing Free Shipping at first while you learn the ins and outs of the shipping process.
Trust me - you will make shipping mistakes at first. Just go ahead and accept that fact now. Don't beat yourself up - just learn from it.
Pick Standard Shipping Option
Enter Box Size & Weight
NOTE: Add 1 lb to the weight of your item to estimate the weight of the box and shipping materials. (i.e. your coffee mug weights 6 oz without the box, I would list this as 1 lb 6 oz as the final weight)
This is how my shipping is setup to offer Free Shipping - you can add a service if you don't like the option I have chosen above.
It tells you the estimated cost of shipping so you can make sure you add the correct amount to the final price.
13. Skip International Shipping if you are just starting out.
14. Handling Time - how long will it take you to ship it? I give myself one day.
15. Promoted Listings - never promote more than 2%
16. Returns - make sure it is accurate\
17. Finally hit LIST IT!
With eBay, you can sell your items to a large audience around the world. It’s easy to get started and you can start listing items within minutes. All you need to do is create an account, write a detailed description of your item, create a listing, set your price, and you’re ready to go! With eBay’s wide range of categories and millions of potential buyers, you’re sure to find a great market for whatever you’re selling. So, take the plunge and start listing your items on eBay today!